Sunday Stories | South Brisbane Town Hall
The South Brisbane Town Hall was officially opened on 1 July 1892, following the establishment in 1888, of the Borough of South Brisbane. This would later be known as the South Brisbane Municipal Chambers and was never actually used as a town hall. The building was utilised from 1892 until 1925, when the City of South Brisbane was amalgamated into the City of Greater Brisbane. Since 1925, the building has been occupied by American Armed Services during World War II, existed as residential flats, housed the Queensland Conservatorium of Music, and operated as the South Brisbane College of Technical and Further Education. The many lives of Brisbane heritage buildings!
It is currently a part of the Somerville House School, since purchasing the building in 1997. Image courtesy of Brisbane City Council