Sunday Stories | Mount Coot-tha Lookout
Mt Coot-tha was originally known as ‘Kuta’ by the Indigenous people, thought to mean a place of wild or black honey, or a place of many hives of wild sting-less native bees. The name ‘Mt Coot-tha’ replaced the former title ‘One Tree Hill’ in 1880, when the area was declared a Public Recreation Reserve. The Mount Coot-tha Lookout & Kiosk is a heritage-listed lookout built from 1918. This small viewing gazebo pictured here was also constructed around 1918 as part of the Lookout. It features an ogee shaped roof, stone base, open balustrades, pergola entrance, and housed a telescope. Mount Coo-tha continues to offer sweeping views of a changing Brisbane! Source: BCC – Image courtesy of Vintage Queensland.